Saturday, November 08, 2008

Gob Smacking Hypocrisy

Sorry if I don't join all of you in a rousing chorus of "Yes We Can". I doubt many people who voted for President Elect Obama can tell me what the hell they think "they're" going to do on a substantive level anyway. I remember a few months ago when Senator Obama was speaking before a jam-packed arena with a chorus of people chanting "Change! Change! Change!" It sounded like someone was being heckled by a thousand pan handlers.

There is nothing "new" about the change Obama peddled throughout the campaign trail. Anyone who's actually devoted their education and lives to the study of American politics will remember hearing this stuff before - from FDR and Woodrow Wilson. The change they brought wasn't pretty, and very few care to remember the goon squads that were at the beck and call of President Wilson, to quash those who weren't buying his brand of "yes we can."

That being said, there is no doubt that what happened on Tuesday night was overwhelming, and I congratulate Senator Obama on his win. What I don't get is the gob-smacking hypocrisy of those who are enraged that many people are still very leery of Obama's past, his associates, what he did on the campaign trail, and what he intends to do for the next four years. I and many others have been called "sore losers", and told that we should "get over ourselves".

Really?

Be honest with yourselves. For the past 8 years, how many of you have relentlessly attacked President Bush? How many of you have called him a liar, a moron, an idiot, and a terrorist? How many you even went so far as to implicate him crazy 9/11 conspiracies? All of you.

Now you're crying foul because not all of us are kneeling before your golden boy, and we don't need to rely on loonies like Michael Moore and Keith Olbermann to tell us what to think. You don't like that I am critical, and will continue to be critical for the next 4 years.

"Give him a chance", you cry. Why? I know the bill of goods he's selling, and I'm not buying it.

I'm going to write one more blog piece on Obama's past, then I'm going to move on to examining the "change" he's talked so much about for the past 16 months. I know the territory, I've been there before. I don't copy and paste my arguments from Wikipedia.

Cordially

Joe

No comments: